Chevron Vanity


This was my first time painting or re-doing a piece of furniture and let me tell you.. 
it wasn't easy!

 After one major set back (and one minor melt-down) the finished product is 
exactly what I envisioned!


I started off with a vanity that I purchased from Target about 4 years ago.  After surviving with me during two years of college and three moves it isn't a shock that this poor piece of furniture had seen better days -


The Problem
1. The top was stained with 4 years worth of makeup
2. Over cluttered 
3. Plain Boring



In order to solve this problem I started by taking apart the mirror and removing the hardware.  I used a few pieces of computer paper and painters tape to protect the mirror while I gave the wood a fresh coat of white paint.


 After I re-painted the entire vanity glossy white, I started working on the chevron stripes.  I knew there was no way for me to free hand this so I searched online for some sort of template and I came across this one at Billiemonster.com.  I chose to use the large/thin template and I printed out enough to fit my vanity lengthwise.  


I lined up the bottom points with one side of the vanity and taped the template into place. Then began the long tedious process of taping off the perfect lines until I was left with...

This

 I also decided to add a little pop of color to the front drawer and sides so I taped them off and painted


After several coats of gray paint and much anticipation it was time to unveil my masterpiece..
  Or not! 


It was a painters tape disaster!

The paint leaked underneath the tape due to slight ridges in the vanity that were hardly even noticeable.  If that wasn't bad enough the paint also ripped off entire chunks of paint with each piece that I pulled up.
Matt suggested that I sand and start over - but after all that time I spent taping I wasn't giving up that easy, plus whose to say the same thing wouldn't happen twice? 
So instead I went in with a paint brush and meticulously fixed each line by hand!



Once I finished patching up the stripes I sealed the whole top with polyurethane and I'm hoping that it will last me many years to come! 
 
Sure this process took some time (about 5 hours total) but don't you think it was worth it?!




So c'mon tell me what you think! 
Comment below and please don't forget to follow us! 

This is just the first piece to my vanity corner revitalization project! Stay tuned to see what other pieces I revamped and to see the completed look!

I hope you're having a great weekend!

-Alison

P.S. 
We're linking this project up with these parties!




Pin It

0 comments:

Post a Comment